JesseKarenNevinFamily

Friday, June 22, 2007

More Pics from Italy

Buon Giorno! Well what do you know, Sonja and I were also recently in Italy. I had two weeks off from teaching (the pentecost holiday), and Sonja had vacation time, so we stole her sister's car and did a little road trip through Tuscany. Tuscany is really something else. Seems like every third hill is topped with a 13th century castle in the middle of an olive grove. Molte Bella! (am I using that correctly? Todd?) Anyway, it sounds like we just missed Kameron in Sienna--that would've fun. Sienna was one of our favorite cities on the trip (more on that in the comments to Kameron's pics).
This first pic (left) is of a small resturaunt in courtyard in the middle of an appartment complex in Cartona. Sonja and I had dinner there and listened to neighbors watch TV-- sounded like an Italian version of Wheel of Fortune.
I don't know what to say about the next pic: These cobbled together walls are all over Italy and I just love them. So many chunks of history all puzzled together in wacky configurations--fun. The next pic needs little
explanation, but I'll give one anyway. The Piazza there in Pisa was full of tourists with their hands up in the air, posing with the tower. Most of them seem to be trying to prevent the tower from falling, so we, wanting to be different, pretended to push the tower over. This however caught on quickly, and soon enough it became 'alternative' and 'original' to pretend to being saving the tower. And so it goes :)
On a side note: Kameron's visiting her uncle Josh in Italy has got me thinking and here's what I'm thinking. We can't afford plane tickets at the moment, but Sonja and I have a fold out futon in the living room here, a month bus/subway pass for the inner city and a full fridge yummy stinky cheese. So if anyone is looking to a do little European vacation, you are certainly welcome to camp out here with us for while. Heck if you need more room, you can take over the place for a week (or two) and Sonja and I will camp out at her parents place (that's more of an offer for the aunts and uncles ;-) If you come this far you though, you'll probably want to see a little more than Munich, and from what I have seen thus far, I would recommend Italy. Molte Bella (I sure hope I'm using that correctly. Todd?) Okay, folks, that's all for now. Schönen Gruße from Sonja and Marc. Ciao

6 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

Even though we went through out Tuscany we did not visit Sienna. The cobblestone walls is one of my favorite things about old Italy too. Gives it more character and charm. It would have been great if we could have figured out a way for her to visit with you and Sonja...her trip was quickly planned though. Josh is in Italy for work - he has a chiroprator practice there - his wife is Italian and her family lives in Italy as well.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Sadey said...

--This is from Todd using Sadey’s username since I just can’t seem to remember my account info for this….

I often feel homesick for my two favorite places... Italia and New York. So all this talk about Italy is bitter-sweet. BTW, the context is correct of course but the spelling is slightly off. It's "molto" with an "o" instead of an "e"... For those really interested in a language lesson... the "a" at the end of 'bella" is correct since the beauty referenced is feminine which is indicated by the "a" at the end of "Italia". For Kameron's use she may want to use "molto bello" for the handsom "ragazzo" she sees in the piazza... notice the "o" endings.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Jesse & Karen Nevin said...

Marc, regarding the colorful rock walls; do you know whether the different colors of stones was a artistic statement, or was this a hurried rebuilding of bombed out other buildings, or just what they had and were going for function over esthetics?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

So that's why the tower is leaning...Great blog... - Daniel

11:07 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

Todd how do I say "You sorry suckers!" in Italian. (I need to write a few e-mails to Kameron and Marc/Sonja

6:46 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

these pictures are very nice.. i don't know how to use this thing yet so i can only comment... but soon i will.. siena is very nice... i love it.
i landed in pisa when i got here but i didn't see the tower..
-kameron

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home