Hello. Marc here. I just started a new job here as a classroom assistant in a private bilingual school. I will be working in the first grade class and coordinating the afterschool program. It's been a while since I worked with the little ones, and as the school is brand-spanking new, they've asked for input on books, games, materials etc. Thus, I'm turning to the experts. Many of you have either had a first grader, or have yourselves been first graders in the not too distant past. So ?? What were your favorite books and games? Mind you these are German childern who have had just a little bit of English in their kindergartens, so, yes the games, and especially the stories, should be fairly simple. Any ideas? If you have a favorite story and it's not for beginners, feel free to suggest it anyway; at some point the kids will advance beyond beginners--I hope :) Okay, thanks in advance for any and all suggestion.

5 Comments:
Sorry I will be of little help with your request for books, other than, a book the Art Guild is using in our outreach programs in the elementary schools, it is called "How to Teach Children Art" I'm not sure the author but I can find out if you think it might be useful. By the way< I assume that you did get your Masters Degree in May as planned? Is the new job a full time position? Does this feel like something that you will want to do for awhile? Does this mean that Sonja may be going back to school like she talked about?
Marc, we have a lot of books we could send you if the brand new school is open to having some not so brand new books that are in good condition. We'll get some names too. - Connie
Yes, I finished the masters degree (i should get the diploma in the mail anyday now) The job is full time (with some unpaid overtime to start :) Sonja is going to continue to work this next year to save a little bit of money and to give me a chance to determine if this is something I want to do for a while. I had orinally hoped to find a teaching assistant position in a highschool English class. I'm still playing with idea of possibly going back to the states to do a Alternative Credential program so that I would be able to teaching highschool/junior English here in the international schools. For now, however, I'm going to keep my options open and see how I like working with the 1st graders. More later.
Connie, thanks for the offer of books. I don't think the schools going to be particulary choosy about the condition of the books, but I would also add that the schools going to have some money to buy books, so...yeah, I'd say not spend a lot of money shipping. If you have a couple favorites you want to share that would be great, but again, more than anything I am just looking for stories or games that have proven to be real winners.
Thanks again,
marc
Marc, I asked Albert (since he just left 1st grade) and the games he could remember were legos, pick up sticks, matching games, monopoly, boggle jr., and twister. His favorite books were the Junie B. Jones series. Other books, any Eric Carle (especially Brown Bear,Brown Bear What Do You See?),any Dr. Seuss(I'm not going to get up today!), any Mercer Mayer(Just Go to Bed),Syd Hoff's (Danny and the Dinosaur), "Little Bear" by Else Holmelund Minarik, "Parts" by Tedd Arnold, and Porter's favorite in first grade was a Dr. Seuss book "I Wish that I had Duck Feet" by Theo. LeSieg. This is just a short list, but maybe it will give you a start. I almost forgot a great one the kids love, "The old woman who swallowed a fly." I don't remember the author, but I'm sure you can find it. I hope you have fun. One last idea for you to get more game ideas, look up Familyfun.com. They also have alot of craft idea if you need any of that. You can look at their general info. or put in the age group to be more specific. If I think of any other games or books I'll let you know.
Connie
Thanks Connie, that helps. Shelley sent me a short list as well, and I think between the two lists I have got an enough suggestions to make it appear as if I might now something :) I'm glad to here that Albert likes 'I'm not going to get up today' That was one of the few books that I already had on my list. I read it to the kids in the kindergarten here and they loved it too (almost as much as green eggs and ham). Again, thanks for the tips and if any other ideas come to you in the weeks or months to come, feel free to shoot me a short note. Good luck with the new school year there in Colorado (I assume you all are starting back soon) and yes, pass on my thanks to Albert and Porter for their contributions as well. --marc
Post a Comment
<< Home