We've all heard and said, "How did Mom do it? Because my kids...." or " I don't know how Mom did it, because my kids..." (Naturally, Connie, you can exclude yourself from this statement)
I think of long talks when I was dating Todd. We would just sit in the chairs in the family room and talk. Where Todd was, I am not sure. I also think of how she burped my babies by rubbing their back, her yummy rolls, her ability to finish everything she wanted to, and her ability to compliment Dad so well.
I think of how she makes everyone feel special as an individual. She has done this so well in the gifts she gives the kids. I also think it is amazing that no matter the gift, it seems to be the perfect and loved one.
I'm glad I have the chance to comment on this particular memory first. Mom yelling at the top of her lungs at our swim meets. We could never hear her, but she would lose her voice to cheer us on. Nick I must agree on a little knowledge of how mom made it, but I must say with all thebabysitting she did I don't know how she did it I tried to babysit on a regular basis, but couldn't hack it. Babysitting on a temporary basis is fine, but not all the time. Devynne has informed me I need to get creative before she has any kids. Itold her mom will be around to make things for her great-grand kids. I think I have to agree with Shelley about the long talks. We visit for hours sometimes.
I remember the long talks as well the year or so before my mission.I remember all the homemade decorations for holidays that she made. i remember her having her raisinetts and black licorice. I remember loving to help her babysit. to this day i am amazed at how she could get so many toddlers to lay down and sleep in the same room. i can't even get one to do it:)i remember her always having a million projects she was working on and always seemed to get them all done on time. maybe i shouldn't put this on but i loved it. she would have her times where she would do her special dancing and singing for us. i think of how caring she has always been, always willing to serve those around her. i think of how much fun the grandkids have with her. i think of how graham always would ask her to do "around and around the garden we go........" as soon as he would see her. i think of her being able to be there when we adopted Graham. I am so happy that she is my mom and graham's grandma. I'm so glad i have her as example of the kind of women that i want in my future spouse
For a seemingly "quiet woman" we all seem to have alot of memories of long talks. I think that's Mom's secret to making us feel special individually. It's hard not to get too sappy when talking about Mom. However, this one's not too bad. When I broke my arm at school Mom was already sick and threw up on the paramedic while she was signing the transportation waver. The paramedic looked at her and said "Are you sure you can drive him?" Mom being the trooper she is just responded "I'll be fine." then drove me to the doctor, then to the hospital where I had surgery and pretty sure was there atleast until Dad got off work, although I think she was there until I was settled in my room. Then when I had my cast taken off she had to leave the room because she almost fainted when they started pulling the pins out. I also remember not having to mow the lawn very often because of my allergies. This meant Mom was usally seen out front doing this task. It didn't occurred to me at the time but I'm pretty sure Mom has grass allergies too.
Mom - she is amazing. I love the home-made items that she has given. When Mom made Raeli her small little blamket with tags and it became her "magic blanket" (It helped put her to sleep) Kameron said - it is magic because Grandma made it. There is something magical about how Mom can sew/paint in love with all her creations and the kids most definately feel it. I remember Christmas time stringing popcorn with Mom and the late night early morning Christmas Eve's. She would do whatever it took to finish her projects for them to be ready for us on Christmas morning. I love that she created my wedding dress - it was beautiful and an honor to wear. She taught me dedication and love. I remember many a morning having Mom sing to us awake. (I used to do that with my kids too). I feel very blessed to have her as my Mom and my kids have her as their Grandma.
My mom memories have been continually flowing all week… I couldn’t do justice to recount them all but a couple of traits thread through them all. Mom is the fairest person I know. Equality is actually somewhat rare since it often would simply not be fair. Christmas and traditional gift giving is one of the few things that exhibit some equality…. But even still mom has an amazing talent for capturing personality and uniqueness in all that she gives. Mom makes everyone feel special in their own way. Along with my admiration for her fairness, she is a finisher! If it weren’t for others like myself, I’m not sure she would even know the term procrastinate. I probably don’t need to elaborate on this point since I know everyone knows what I mean but just for a case in point, Jesse’s 16th birthday present is already sitting in my closet waiting for him to open in another 5 months… and it’s been there fore 5 months.
As petite as mom is, this may come as a surprise to many of you but mom taught me how to fight… okay, okay… so maybe not actually how to throw punches but she did teach me when to fight. I was 10… Marc and I had accidentally hit Robyn or Amy… okay, it probably was just me doing the hitting and it probably wasn’t an accident… and it was probably both of them BUT… my point is, Marc and I both got the lecture. It went something like this… “if you EVER hit your sisters or any girl again…” I don’t remember the consequence but the point was well taken. Now, that was not the end of the lecture… oh no…. point number one, stand up for yourself and who you are… point number two, not only do you not ever hit your sisters or any other girl but if any body else even says something bad about your sisters or treats them wrong, then you better stand up for them. Not sure if it was the very next day but for sure within the next week mom got a call from the principal to come pick me up from school having been suspended for fighting… I remember the principal got off the phone and said, “your mom didn’t seemed surprised to hear from me”. Mom got the reason from me that it was because someone had said something to Robyn and I stuck up for her… I thought mom would change her mind but both points were actually reemphasized with additional counsel to use a little more judgment and control.
Do you need some “baby” aspirin? Sickness was not a frequent occurrence growing up… if you were actually sick, mom would take great care of you but only after you had spent sufficient time on the toilet… and then you had to swallow your pride enough to accept “baby” aspirin. I wasn’t sick a lot but I was very rarely sick enough in my teen years to resort to “baby” aspirin.
Mom did get sick once… probably more than once but I remember once for sure… Christmas…. Life certainly wasn’t the same without mom feeling well and I remember it being a somewhat disorienting feeling with her sick. Of course, if I remember right she finished everything for Christmas and then crashed.
I keep thinking I was too young to have these memories but I remember mom being pregnant with Amy… oddly, I remember visiting teachers trying to help her as if she was helpless. They obviously didn’t know mom very well… isn’t Amy the one she drove herself to the hospital with?
Dad get’s a lot of well deserved credit for his artistry but the talent pool is far from one-sided. I love how my kids cherish their Grandma Karen gifts of love. Mom’s crafting has linked her kinship with Shelley which is special to me but her sewing has always been her talent I marvel at most.
One of my most cherished memories with mom was “the” summer of chores… don’t get me wrong, we did chores every summer but this summer different… I think we cleaned the entire house everyday…. not individually… we each had our couple of chores… but, woven into the schedule was a vacation week for each person when mom did your chores AND you got to have some alone time with mom. My time was spent with mom and I walking to the temple to fulfill a cub scout 5-mile city hike requirement. I have no idea what we talked about but I remember it taking several hours as we watch temple videos at the visitor center in the middle and I just recall of feeling of closness to mom that I will always cherish. We did other cub scouting together and doing cub scouts with my boys brings me frequently back to these special memories of mom.
Can you believe I’m actually trying to keep this short…. Oh well, if Shelley keeps up these memory prompts I’ll have to learn to be more concise… nevertheless, I have to share my final thoughts… mom in the temple. Mom will always be mom to me but the times I’ve spent with her in the temple have felt the age difference shrink and I feel the close friendship we obviously shared before this life and will share after this one.
9 Comments:
We've all heard and said, "How did Mom do it? Because my kids...." or " I don't know how Mom did it, because my kids..." (Naturally, Connie, you can exclude yourself from this statement)
I think of long talks when I was dating Todd. We would just sit in the chairs in the family room and talk. Where Todd was, I am not sure.
I also think of how she burped my babies by rubbing their back, her yummy rolls, her ability to finish everything she wanted to, and her ability to compliment Dad so well.
I think of how she makes everyone feel special as an individual. She has done this so well in the gifts she gives the kids. I also think it is amazing that no matter the gift, it seems to be the perfect and loved one.
I'm glad I have the chance to comment on this particular memory first. Mom yelling at the top of her lungs at our swim meets. We could never hear her, but she would lose her voice to cheer us on. Nick I must agree on a little knowledge of how mom made it, but I must say with all thebabysitting she did I don't know how she did it I tried to babysit on a regular basis, but couldn't hack it. Babysitting on a temporary basis is fine, but not all the time. Devynne has informed me I need to get creative before she has any kids. Itold her mom will be around to make things for her great-grand kids. I think I have to agree with Shelley about the long talks. We visit for hours sometimes.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I remember the long talks as well the year or so before my mission.I remember all the homemade decorations for holidays that she made. i remember her having her raisinetts and black licorice. I remember loving to help her babysit. to this day i am amazed at how she could get so many toddlers to lay down and sleep in the same room. i can't even get one to do it:)i remember her always having a million projects she was working on and always seemed to get them all done on time.
maybe i shouldn't put this on but i loved it. she would have her times where she would do her special dancing and singing for us. i think of how caring she has always been, always willing to serve those around her. i think of how much fun the grandkids have with her. i think of how graham always would ask her to do "around and around the garden we go........" as soon as he would see her. i think of her being able to be there when we adopted Graham.
I am so happy that she is my mom and graham's grandma. I'm so glad i have her as example of the kind of women that i want in my future spouse
For a seemingly "quiet woman" we all seem to have alot of memories of long talks. I think that's Mom's secret to making us feel special individually. It's hard not to get too sappy when talking about Mom. However, this one's not too bad. When I broke my arm at school Mom was already sick and threw up on the paramedic while she was signing the transportation waver. The paramedic looked at her and said "Are you sure you can drive him?" Mom being the trooper she is just responded "I'll be fine." then drove me to the doctor, then to the hospital where I had surgery and pretty sure was there atleast until Dad got off work, although I think she was there until I was settled in my room. Then when I had my cast taken off she had to leave the room because she almost fainted when they started pulling the pins out. I also remember not having to mow the lawn very often because of my allergies. This meant Mom was usally seen out front doing this task. It didn't occurred to me at the time but I'm pretty sure Mom has grass allergies too.
Mom - she is amazing. I love the home-made items that she has given. When Mom made Raeli her small little blamket with tags and it became her "magic blanket" (It helped put her to sleep) Kameron said - it is magic because Grandma made it. There is something magical about how Mom can sew/paint in love with all her creations and the kids most definately feel it.
I remember Christmas time stringing popcorn with Mom and the late night early morning Christmas Eve's. She would do whatever it took to finish her projects for them to be ready for us on Christmas morning.
I love that she created my wedding dress - it was beautiful and an honor to wear.
She taught me dedication and love. I remember many a morning having Mom sing to us awake. (I used to do that with my kids too). I feel very blessed to have her as my Mom and my kids have her as their Grandma.
from todd...
My mom memories have been continually flowing all week… I couldn’t do justice to recount them all but a couple of traits thread through them all. Mom is the fairest person I know. Equality is actually somewhat rare since it often would simply not be fair. Christmas and traditional gift giving is one of the few things that exhibit some equality…. But even still mom has an amazing talent for capturing personality and uniqueness in all that she gives. Mom makes everyone feel special in their own way. Along with my admiration for her fairness, she is a finisher! If it weren’t for others like myself, I’m not sure she would even know the term procrastinate. I probably don’t need to elaborate on this point since I know everyone knows what I mean but just for a case in point, Jesse’s 16th birthday present is already sitting in my closet waiting for him to open in another 5 months… and it’s been there fore 5 months.
As petite as mom is, this may come as a surprise to many of you but mom taught me how to fight… okay, okay… so maybe not actually how to throw punches but she did teach me when to fight. I was 10… Marc and I had accidentally hit Robyn or Amy… okay, it probably was just me doing the hitting and it probably wasn’t an accident… and it was probably both of them BUT… my point is, Marc and I both got the lecture. It went something like this… “if you EVER hit your sisters or any girl again…” I don’t remember the consequence but the point was well taken. Now, that was not the end of the lecture… oh no…. point number one, stand up for yourself and who you are… point number two, not only do you not ever hit your sisters or any other girl but if any body else even says something bad about your sisters or treats them wrong, then you better stand up for them. Not sure if it was the very next day but for sure within the next week mom got a call from the principal to come pick me up from school having been suspended for fighting… I remember the principal got off the phone and said, “your mom didn’t seemed surprised to hear from me”. Mom got the reason from me that it was because someone had said something to Robyn and I stuck up for her… I thought mom would change her mind but both points were actually reemphasized with additional counsel to use a little more judgment and control.
Do you need some “baby” aspirin? Sickness was not a frequent occurrence growing up… if you were actually sick, mom would take great care of you but only after you had spent sufficient time on the toilet… and then you had to swallow your pride enough to accept “baby” aspirin. I wasn’t sick a lot but I was very rarely sick enough in my teen years to resort to “baby” aspirin.
Mom did get sick once… probably more than once but I remember once for sure… Christmas…. Life certainly wasn’t the same without mom feeling well and I remember it being a somewhat disorienting feeling with her sick. Of course, if I remember right she finished everything for Christmas and then crashed.
I keep thinking I was too young to have these memories but I remember mom being pregnant with Amy… oddly, I remember visiting teachers trying to help her as if she was helpless. They obviously didn’t know mom very well… isn’t Amy the one she drove herself to the hospital with?
Dad get’s a lot of well deserved credit for his artistry but the talent pool is far from one-sided. I love how my kids cherish their Grandma Karen gifts of love. Mom’s crafting has linked her kinship with Shelley which is special to me but her sewing has always been her talent I marvel at most.
continued...
continued from todd...
One of my most cherished memories with mom was “the” summer of chores… don’t get me wrong, we did chores every summer but this summer different… I think we cleaned the entire house everyday…. not individually… we each had our couple of chores… but, woven into the schedule was a vacation week for each person when mom did your chores AND you got to have some alone time with mom. My time was spent with mom and I walking to the temple to fulfill a cub scout 5-mile city hike requirement. I have no idea what we talked about but I remember it taking several hours as we watch temple videos at the visitor center in the middle and I just recall of feeling of closness to mom that I will always cherish. We did other cub scouting together and doing cub scouts with my boys brings me frequently back to these special memories of mom.
Can you believe I’m actually trying to keep this short…. Oh well, if Shelley keeps up these memory prompts I’ll have to learn to be more concise… nevertheless, I have to share my final thoughts… mom in the temple. Mom will always be mom to me but the times I’ve spent with her in the temple have felt the age difference shrink and I feel the close friendship we obviously shared before this life and will share after this one.
I love you mom!
Post a Comment
<< Home