JesseKarenNevinFamily

Monday, August 09, 2010

Memory Monday

Ok all...here we go. Monday is now Memory Monday. It is your turn to post a memory of something random having to do with the Nevin family, good of course (good can be funny), and remember this is ALL for fun... Nothing that you wouldn't want posted. Anyway...here goes! Check the comments for the memories. Since ages are close with you guys, this week lets think about elementary school...

6 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

I am sadly out of this one...I met the family in high school. I have heard plenty of stories and can't wait to hear them from other perspectives.

Amy and Marc...where are you???

9:58 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

hmmm...that was a very long time ago. Here is what came to mindI
1.I remember wanting to take the bus to school (it was 2 blocks away).
2.One time walking home I was walking backwards and fell into a trash can (lame) I think Marc and Todd both laughed.
3. 3rd Grade garden - I was so sad when they turned that into the kindergarten playground.
4. I oddly remember walking home with Marc the day Elvis died (maybe it wasn't the actual day - but I remember Marc talking about it - he loved Elvis) I was in kindergarten.
5. I remember playing soccer/touch football/ baseball in the front yard and street. I can't remember if I shared this already but I think it is so funny that we were so annoyed that the cars would slow down when they drove by us. We would walk right up to the car (close enough to touch) My kids would be so in trouble if they did that :)
6. I remember Halloween (not Fall Festival) we would dress up and have a costume parade. On that same note we would also get cupcakes, popcorn balls, and all sorts of homemade treats for Halloween. We also would create our own costumes.
7.I also remember when we all cycled through the chicken pox. I barely got them but I got them during my 1st grade feild trip to the zoo. When I got back the assigment was to write about our trip :( I got to write about what I did during my stay at home. But I also remember somehow Mom made it fun to be home during that time.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I spelled field wrong :)

11:56 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

from todd....

before she passed aunt rene sent me the newspaper clipping of me, robyn and amy when we were the student council officers...

i remember playing on the play ground before school, during school an playing all the way home... school was just something we did in between playing... homework, i don't really remember having much of that thank goodness...

oh, i vaguely remember chasing girls now and then ;-)

12:02 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

I remember:
-having to walk by "The Stevenson's" I know somebody wrote something earlier about Dad being nice to him and he liked Dad but he was a scary guy for a little kid.
-walking to school all by myself in kindergarten and being pretty nervous, then learning about stranger danger and going from nervous to terrified!
-thinking I was hot stuff because my teachers always new who I was by family reputation.
-breaking my arm at school in the 4th grade and Sylvia, the playground aide, yelling at me because she thought I was playing tag when I fell from the jungle gym.(Notice I remembered her name, that's the how much of an impression she made.)
-trying to negotiate trades for those delicious peanutbutter chocolate bars (reeses bars)
-Mrs. Hewett being patient enough to figure out that my allergies were the reason I was such a spaz. To this day she is my favorite school teacher of all time.
-touch football at recess (tackle when the aides weren't watching). Incidently, I was getting kids to play football when I fell and broke my arm, not playing tag.
- being pull over by a police officer because I road my bike across the street in the middle of the block instead of riding down to the crosswalk and walking it across. He actually blipped his siren and called me over to his patrol car. Even as a kid I remember thinking "Really?!"

Lastly, when did they shorten those two blocks we use to walk?

6:31 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

from todd...

i KNOW, thos blocks were long back then...

kindergarten - getting to hold mrs meyers hand in line all the time... i thought i was so special... until now i realize it was a control technique...

1st grade - i spent most of my time in the next door 2nd grade class... i thought i was so special... until now i realize it was a control technique...

2nd grade - favorite teach of all time (even though i don't remember how to spell her name) ms mccarack... anyway, i was special to her and i still think that's true... i was terrified that she gave me a kiss on the cheek the last day of school... she'd be in jail now days with that kind of love...

3rd grade - the garden... i spent A LOT of time in the garden... i thought i was so special... yep, another control technique...

4th grade - teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom... that didn't stop me from peeing... no fond memories of THAT teacher...

5th grade - i was the teacher's aide, i graded papers, taught other kids how to do their math and SRAs... i thought i was so special... no comment

6th grade - AROUND-THE-WORLD KING! i would reach the 6-pack of pop limit every time... did i mention that every year of school i had either the desk right next to the teacher or exclusive seating in... the... corner... 6th grade i had my own private luxury box... no one could see me and i could see no one... i pretty much knew that was a control technique even then... that may be another jail offense today...

really wondering what the point of my elementary education was.... don't remember learning anything... except when my 2nd grade teacher gave me the 4th grade math book and said, go figure out how to do all of this.... i finished 6th grade math by the end of 2nd grade teaching myself with her tutoring me as needed... i honestly believe that was the mark of a great teacher, even though, that too i know was a control technique... she recognized my passion and let me fly

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home