JesseKarenNevinFamily

Monday, August 16, 2010

Memory Monday

This week let's think about the house on Elm St...

6 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

Let's see...the firepit, only a couple of Dad's pictures on the walls, the front planter with Kameron playing in the dirt and Robyn enjoying watching her as a baby, the "kids wing" and own phone line, brick arches, boys playing basketball, watching MCC fireworks on the roof,Mom with 3 babies on her lap in the big chair, Dad sleeping in front of the TV, and Mom working on my wedding boquet in the sewing room. I remember how excited she was to find the velvet roses. They were perfect. I have memories of each room so I am sure you guys have plenty!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

from todd...

triple decker beds and a crib... all four boys in 10x10 room

basketball court built by all the neighborhood... i often think about how meaningful that experience was... mom and dad figured they couldn't and/or didn't want to try to compete with video games consoles so they opted to take out the big palm tree and make the best basketball court in the neighborhood... it worked!!! not only did we spend an enormous amount of time playing on that court but also just hanging out there... the guys always felt it was all of ours because we all put our sweat into it's construction... pure genius! side note... i remember lifting the backboard over my head to put it on the post and dad saying, DON'T drop it... i thought i was going to fall to my death from 10 feet in the air and a basketball hoop on my chest.

the velour couch was the most comfortable couch EVER!

the art work of mary and the chief are solidly fixed memories

i remembering digging the pit...

the firepit made Christmas so memorable and cozy

reroofing the house and reconfiguring the facade gave us the bext looking house in the hood

11:39 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Here are few I remember...
Roller skating on the new cement while Dad added the family room onto the house.
Pulling weeds in the front yard (I used to think those weeds were four leaf clovers but I hated it when they turned to those spurrs)
The awesome walk in pantry - to think day I have pantry envy and compare all pantrys to that one.
We had a green house when I was little and I remember playing in it and thinking that was cool.
Reading on the front porch just sitting on that planter (good times). I also remember planting marigolds in that planter as well.
I agree with Todd the Orange couch was the best :)
The next best thing or our equivelent of a cell phone was the teen line that the 4 middle kids shared. That was a big deal - however I beleive Todd monopolized the time on that.
Family dinners at the long table
The huge Bean Bag in the family room :) Do you know how much those things cost now!!
Many more memories...

5:13 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

Did that house even have a key? I don't ever remember the door being locked except for right before Dad went to bed, which usually was late. On that note, I remember everyone using the side door. Only strangers came to the front door.
The triple decker bunk beds are one of the first memories of my existance. Of course, the b-ball court. I remember practicing "h.o.r.s.e." shots for hours. I remember the chain being wrapped around the palm stump and that thing not wanting to come out. That kind of non-secular neighborhood project doesn't happen these days. I remember kids younger and older always being around. The family room/daycare. Cribs stored in the hallway. Even though the backyard was literally a playground, I don't have a bunch of memories of playing back there, although I'm sure we did. I remember guys from the halfway house across the street barging in the side door late at night looking for safety.(that door still never got locked) However,even those guys usually abided by the house/court rules. I remember most of the renovations, some are alot more vague than others. It may not have been a 20,000 square foot home but it was definitely a custom home. I cut through the old hood occassionally when I'm going down Alma School Rd. and drive by the House. The basketball court is still there with a new backboard and hoop and they've changed a few other things but I'm pretty sure we coud still find a few familiar names scratched into a cement walkway.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Does anyone remember the velvet wall paper we scraped off? Do you remember mom and dads room being a family room first with a door to the outside? The chain link fence until it became the brick fence? Most of my memories have already been mentioned. Some of my other memories that haven't been mentioned involve little critters. Like, oh never mind we'll keep this pleasant memories.

12:47 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

I remember the "critters" too. Yep, no need to discuss them.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home