Halloween past...back in the day we created our costumes - some that I remember Punky brewster (loved that show) football player (i was a tom boy so I thought this one was cool) Clown...pumpkin stuffed with newspapers galore. Princess, I wore Mom's rinestone tiara (sorry for misspelled words) I also remember going door to door on our own...things have changed a little.
I really don't remember a single costume. I think that's strange. I do remember my mom buying candy every year knowing full well no one would come down our dark dirt road just to get candy from 10 houses so far apart. :) We would roam Lehi on our own as well. Sorensen Street was the rich street with the "good" candy. I also remember taking a pillow case and heading to other neighborhoods and filling that thing up. Wow!! Times really have changed.
We would also have a Cox Family Halloween Carnival every year. I loved that our Lehi house was perfect for it. I learned very efficient ways of setting up and having a big bash. We had a "spook ally" in our basement and slid down our stairs on cardboard to get there. We felt slimy eyeballs, worms, and had people scare us left and right before climbing out our window well.
One last memory...I remember driving my Cat in the Hat Jesse and yellow M&M Sadey to the Nevin get together and getting in a car accident on the way, my first. I never made it to the family fun. If I recall someone came looking for me.
I remember being Dracula a lot. I definitely remember filling up our pillow cases. I remember hearing the legends of houses that gave out full size candy bars, but I never encountered one as a kid. When I was in 4th grade Mom made me an Alvin costume with open sleeves so my cast would fit through. Slade was so excited to see it in a box a few months ago and could hardly wait until he could wear it this Halloween. In sixth grade I remember being a creepy old man (complete with a creepy mask). At the time Mom babysat this little kid named, Windsor. He looked like the real life version of Charlie Brown and had the strangest expressions. Anyway, when I walked in the room with that mask on he made this crazy sound and face then screamed and cried. It was the saddest and funniest thing I've ever seen!(I know I'm a horrible person) It's probably a had-to-be-there thing.
I remember someone being the Hulk with real green skin, but I can't remember who that was. I don't remember any of my costumes either. I remember a Halloween party or two, where mom had games and made doughnuts. I can't imagine sending my kids out on their own and they get a little bugged about that. I remember reusing costumes from year to year. My kids don't want to reuse so every year we do all new, all homemade. My kids like doing things that are different, elmers glue, chicken noodle soup, eggs and bacon, Santa on vacation, the earth, peptobismal. We are running behind this year the only one we know is Jonathan is going to be a bag of Lays potato chips. Shannyn wants us to do a family theme. The sun,moon, and the 9planets. She didn't get much support. We've done only one family theme and the boys weren't too happy. We were Santa, Mrs. Claus, and 8 reindeer. Fun times.
I too don't remember any specific costume but remember they were always homemade with what ever we had. I remember going to my friend Robin's house because her mom handed out money instead of candy. Oh wait I do remember one costume and that is the clown only because all 3 of my kids wore it too. When my kids and I lived over in the townhouse we had 3 dentists in the ward. They each handed out one item, a toothbrush, floss, & tooth paste. At the time the kids thought that was way cool. I remember once we turned 12 no more trick or treating for us it was then parties. My kids didn't like that rule either but we had a couple of parties at our house. Lots of fun memories for a holiday that I don't really care for.
Todd says... I was the Incredible Hulk twice. The first year I really wanted to be. The Jolly Green Giant at our ward party told mom how to make me really green so I was it again the next year...and REALLY green!
Filling up pillowcases, running from house to house, homemade donuts and homemade rootbeer.
Homemade rootbeer was my favorite. We had it for the neighbors and class parties. It was always a big hit.
Here is a memory my younger kids will have. We have a dentist that buys Halloween candy from the kids and gives out prizes and chances to win big items like an I-pod shuffle,(that's big for my kids). He sends the candy to the troops. The kids get to take their picture with the tooth fairy and get free toothbrushes. Great fun. Thanks for sharing. Love, Connie
9 Comments:
Halloween past...back in the day we created our costumes - some that I remember
Punky brewster (loved that show)
football player (i was a tom boy so I thought this one was cool)
Clown...pumpkin stuffed with newspapers galore.
Princess, I wore Mom's rinestone tiara (sorry for misspelled words)
I also remember going door to door on our own...things have changed a little.
I really don't remember a single costume. I think that's strange. I do remember my mom buying candy every year knowing full well no one would come down our dark dirt road just to get candy from 10 houses so far apart. :) We would roam Lehi on our own as well. Sorensen Street was the rich street with the "good" candy. I also remember taking a pillow case and heading to other neighborhoods and filling that thing up. Wow!! Times really have changed.
We would also have a Cox Family Halloween Carnival every year. I loved that our Lehi house was perfect for it. I learned very efficient ways of setting up and having a big bash. We had a "spook ally" in our basement and slid down our stairs on cardboard to get there. We felt slimy eyeballs, worms, and had people scare us left and right before climbing out our window well.
Good times...good times.
One last memory...I remember driving my Cat in the Hat Jesse and yellow M&M Sadey to the Nevin get together and getting in a car accident on the way, my first. I never made it to the family fun. If I recall someone came looking for me.
I remember being Dracula a lot. I definitely remember filling up our pillow cases.
I remember hearing the legends of houses that gave out full size candy bars, but I never encountered one as a kid.
When I was in 4th grade Mom made me an Alvin costume with open sleeves so my cast would fit through. Slade was so excited to see it in a box a few months ago and could hardly wait until he could wear it this Halloween.
In sixth grade I remember being a creepy old man (complete with a creepy mask). At the time Mom babysat this little kid named, Windsor. He looked like the real life version of Charlie Brown and had the strangest expressions. Anyway, when I walked in the room with that mask on he made this crazy sound and face then screamed and cried. It was the saddest and funniest thing I've ever seen!(I know I'm a horrible person) It's probably a had-to-be-there thing.
I remember someone being the Hulk with real green skin, but I can't remember who that was. I don't remember any of my costumes either. I remember a Halloween party or two, where mom had games and made doughnuts. I can't imagine sending my kids out on their own and they get a little bugged about that. I remember reusing costumes from year to year. My kids don't want to reuse so every year we do all new, all homemade. My kids like doing things that are different, elmers glue, chicken noodle soup, eggs and bacon, Santa on vacation, the earth, peptobismal. We are running behind this year the only one we know is Jonathan is going to be a bag of Lays potato chips. Shannyn wants us to do a family theme. The sun,moon, and the 9planets. She didn't get much support. We've done only one family theme and the boys weren't too happy. We were Santa, Mrs. Claus, and 8 reindeer. Fun times.
I too don't remember any specific costume but remember they were always homemade with what ever we had. I remember going to my friend Robin's house because her mom handed out money instead of candy.
Oh wait I do remember one costume and that is the clown only because all 3 of my kids wore it too.
When my kids and I lived over in the townhouse we had 3 dentists in the ward. They each handed out one item, a toothbrush, floss, & tooth paste. At the time the kids thought that was way cool.
I remember once we turned 12 no more trick or treating for us it was then parties. My kids didn't like that rule either but we had a couple of parties at our house.
Lots of fun memories for a holiday that I don't really care for.
Todd says...
I was the Incredible Hulk twice. The first year I really wanted to be. The Jolly Green Giant at our ward party told mom how to make me really green so I was it again the next year...and REALLY green!
Filling up pillowcases, running from house to house, homemade donuts and homemade rootbeer.
Homemade rootbeer was my favorite. We had it for the neighbors and class parties. It was always a big hit.
Here is a memory my younger kids will have. We have a dentist that buys Halloween candy from the kids and gives out prizes and chances to win big items like an I-pod shuffle,(that's big for my kids). He sends the candy to the troops. The kids get to take their picture with the tooth fairy and get free toothbrushes. Great fun. Thanks for sharing.
Love, Connie
I just heard about a dentist buying candy & sending it to the troops on the news. Probably the same guy.
Post a Comment
<< Home