JesseKarenNevinFamily

Monday, November 08, 2010

Memory Monday

What were/are your birthday picks each year? Cake, food...etc.

10 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

I know Todd's is an angel food cake with frosting. I love strawberry short cake so this is hard for me to make every year. I like to add things like M&M's because it feels to plain otherwise. He just laughs at me now.

For me, I prefer chocolate anything...cake, icecream, etc. Growing up I always got to pick my dinner. I loved my moms sweet and sour chicken wings and Hawaiian rice. YUM!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Growing up we got to pick dinner but I can't remember any of mine. But now my favorite cake is strawberry shortcake...mmmm makes me want to go make one now.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I remember every year I had pork chops for dinner, except one year I chose split pea soup. I for some reason loved it, but I ate four bowls and on the fourth one I threw up all over the table. Gross huh?
I'm with Shelley on the chocolate cake, my favorite for sure, but I like vanilla frosting. Only homemade, store bought frosting yuk. I remember mom making me a snowman cake one year, so Devynne has made me a few snowman cakes. I love making cakes so it's hard to let her make it. She does a good job though.
This years cakes; Albert- him on his bed playing DS game and a open book on the bed, mine- snowman,Parkers- mountain by river with him fishing, Daniel and Emma celebrated together, Emma - a standing Christmas tree, Daniel- a present, Analynn - an artist palet with a paint brush, Porter- a Phoenix Suns jersey,Jonathan- a 3-D hot air balloon, Devynne- no cake I made her a fruit vase with fruit flowers, Shadrach- no cake (he's weird he doesn't like cake) I made him a three teir candy cake. Twix was the bottom, mini reeses were the columns, middle was mini hersheys, I can't remember the top layer,but I know we used airheads, gobstoppers, and nerds., Shannyn- a big 3-D ring with a pink jewel,( it was her Golden Birthday). Anyway, I like birthdays.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I forgot one thing on Shadrach's I used duct tape to hold the candy together. Side note for those of you who don't know Shadrach loves making things with duct tape. He made himself a tie and a scripture case out of duct tape.

One more memory my 16th birthday(I think) I got to go to Ferrals. Anyone remember that place?

Ok this really will be the last thing. We put sparklers on birthday cakes and sing Happy Birthday until they go out. I'm done.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

I remember Ferrells. Weren't there red stripes on that place, or in it? Was it by a movie theatre? I think we took my dad there once.

I grew up with cut up cakes. We had a book that we could pick ours out of. I got one for my kids when they were younger. Once it got lent out and not returned, we have gone to their own ideas. Jesse has had multiple NY Yankees cakes, Sadey...round or roses. Mairzey's have included whatever she is into then...carebears, monkeys, polka dots, etc. Brody was into numbers. Those were easy. He has had a train cake, dump cake and a lame fire truck attempt. My kids pick dinner too. Happily, they choose my cooking quite a bit! Enchiladas is one of the fav's.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Amazing....all I have to say is I hope my family does not read this cuz I am pretty sure they will be jealous!
Maybe I can surprise them and make an amazing cake for the upcoming b-days.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Meg & Jeff said...

I remember one year my mom did a barbie cake for me... it was really cool! And usually on our birthdays we didn't have to do any chores and we got to pick out dinner.

1:08 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

I'll have to think about my childhood birthdays, I can't remember any for some reason. Now, I'm at the point (& have been for a while) where I forget about my birthday and I can never remember how old I am without doing math. However, Sunny & the kids don't forget, infact, that's my favorite part about my adult b-days is how excited they get for me. Sunny has tried to do a couple of themed cakes, but by her own admission, they don't quite turn out, but they always taste awesome. For the kids we made the mistake of starting the tradition of letting them pick 'where' they wanted to eat instead of 'what' they wanted to eat. So it probably would have been cheaper to start our own Texas Roadhouse franchise.
One B-day memory that just popped into my head was when I turned 8 I got to choose 'where' to eat (sort of). I chose Red Lobster. So later at Sizzler I remember stuffing myself on all-you-can-eat shrimp.
I still remember Mom & Dad's response to my Red Lobster suggestion and laugh because it's an all too familiar response to me now.
I like the creative cake thing and I'm glad I wasn't around for your split pea soup B-day, Connie.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

from todd...

yes, i have had angel food cake forever... and it has been funny to convince Shelley that I really did want it with white frosting... I think I actually prefer it with strawberries now but tradition is more important than taste so my birthday will be white frosting...

i copied Connie on pork chops for the b-day dinner, and I do remember the split pea soup dinner and have never eaten it since and never will...

i got two kites every year without fail.... seriously, never one, always two... never from the same people but I always got two, which worked out well because kites break easily... i remember i wasn't much for sharing them with Marc, I was a pretty stingy kiddo which is why i've done my best to help my kids not be, one of those teach your kids to be better than you were areas, they've succeeded...

otherwise, I just remember birthdays being a special day, to be the center of attention in a big family one day a year was a pretty big thing, and at least for me that's what happened, I was treated special, never had to do chores on that day, everyone was nice to me no matter how hard I might have made that, it was royalty for a day and like many of you I don't remember a lot of details but I do remember that, feeling special... oh, and I absolutely loved having my birthday the same month as dad... i've tried to convince Brody that he's lucky to share his birthday month with me but he doesn't seem to care much about that... funny what's important to us in our unique ways... i also wish brody would be as excited as i always have been that his birth date is so cool, 020202... he likes it but not like i like it!!!!

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home