JesseKarenNevinFamily

Sunday, September 28, 2008

General RS Broadcast

I just wanted to post a few thoughts about the broadcast. I have always (at least my adult life) loved listening to conference. It actually is quite a blessing that we get to hear the words of the Lord for us through his chosen servants. But I have been missing out. I cant remember the last time I went to the Relief Society's broadcast - it always is on Saturday and I just always seem to have an reason to miss it (most of which were valid reasons). Yesterday was this years broadcast (I don't know if they do more than one a year) but it happened to be on a weekend the kids were at their dads and John was playing volleyball all day - so I committed to going. It was amazing. It was such a loving and empowering message. You can listen to it online through http://www.lds.org/. Our stake had a special presentation after the broadcast in which the stake President issued a challenge to the women. He challenged us to read the account of the Savior's visit to America. He asked us to do it prayerfully and write down the attributes of the Savior and choose just one that we felt the Lord wanted us to incorporate into our lives. And then he asked us to take action and ask for the Lord's help in making the change. I share this with you so you can participate too. The Savior's visit to America starts in 3Nephi 11 but for this challenge we were asked to focus on 3 Nephi 17. Find one attribute of the Savior's that you would like to mirror in your own life. If you need a Book of Mormon - ask and I will get one to you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jesse & Karen Nevin said...

Thanks, Robyn for sharing your insights of the General Women's Broadcast. I, too, attended last night and strongly felt the spirit. I had been study our Sunday School lesson which included 3 Nephi 11. And in my studies I read about President David O. McKay calling a solemn assembly for a couple dozen stakes in Utah and the priesthood holders wondered what new doctrine was to be introduced. However, the purpose was for President McKay to bear witness of Jesus Christ. I thought to myself how often we hear the prophets bear their testimonies of Christ and yet Pres. McKay felt the urgency to call a special meeting to again bear his testimony to the brethren. This just made me feel how important it is to bear our testimonies often, whenever the opportunity is there. Thanks again for sharing. Oh, by the way, this meeting is once a year, the last Saturday of September, the week before General Conference.
Love Mom

6:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa Carroll said...

Thanks Robyn for sharing. I too attended the broadcast. I went for the first time in 12 years to the stake center. For the past 12 years I have been very fortunate to be able to attend the braodcast at the tabernacle or the conference center. It was very different but the message is still the same and you get to share it with the sisters in your stake, which in turns bring you closer together.
Our stake in prepartion for the broadcast were encouraged to attend the temple once a week for the last month and then we had a stake RS temple day on Friday. Then we had a Chocolate Extravaza before the meeting. They placed the connection as Chocolate being a women's comfort food and the Counsel we recieve from the General Authorities being a spiritual comfort.
I will enjoy participating with you in your challenge. I will ponder on the Saviors attributes and choice one that I can change in my life and work on it. As I feel that it will bring us as sisters and family closer. Look forward to hearing how your progress with the challenge.

Lots of Love to you.
Lisa

11:21 PM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

Robyn thanks for sharing. I have been wanting to share like this since last general conference when I heard Thomas S. Monson speak for the first time as the Prophet. I'm glad you acted on your promptings to share. The Relief Society Broadcast has been a blessing in my life every year. I would go every year so as not to miss out on hearing a prophet of God tell me how special I was to him and to my Heavenly Father. This message gave me strength to continue trying to better myself as a mother and a wife and just as a person. I attended this year in my home. Believe it or not I watched it uninterupted. Thanks for sharing your challenge I will try it. Lets do this again sometime. I had made a goal to share thoughts after this general conference in a letter to everyone, but maybe I'll jot down some thoughts on the blog. Thanks again Robyn. Love, Connie

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home