JesseKarenNevinFamily

Monday, July 26, 2010

Memory Monday

This week lets think about Dad...advice, experiences, work, hobbies, etc.

8 Comments:

Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

Dad...I remember Dad sometimes would rub/scratch my back at bedtime when I was little. He would just rub his hand on my back palm open but his hands were always so rough and collased that I would get a good back scratching at the same time. I know it's little cliche but his hands were strong and rough from physical labor but always gentle. He can build a house from the ground up and go inside and draw, paint or mold a beautiful piece of art.
Whenever I come across someone who has crossed paths with Dad their moods immediately lighten and they jump at the chance to tell me why they love him so much. Dad is, with no exaggeration, the overall smartest, most talented,most understanding and kindest man I've ever known. I'm so lucky he's my Dad.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I remember being in track with Dad as my coach. I remember hearing his motivational speeches about working as a team and supporting each other. I remember driving to school with him in the mornings and on occasion receiving words of advise. I too have run into people who know Dad and instantly they are exciting to meet me and tell me what a good man he is. I remember Sherry's Dad coming over and he wasa a bit different (I think we had to go to our rooms when he came over - but that did not protect our ears from his language). I don't know what Dad did to help them but I remember that he(Sherry's dad) trusted Dad and I don't ever remember Dad ever saying a bad thing about the man. I also remember how he treated(treats) Mom with respect and love. That has been the foundation of my hope when I was going through bad times and when I was single - I knew that there were good men out there because I had Dad as an example. We are indeed very lucky to have him as our father!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

OK...you are all too sappy for me today! :) I am kidding...sort of. I do love Dad, and don't know anyone who doesn't. BUT...one of my first memories was when I had to come in and talk to Dad about going to the Christmas Dance at WW with Todd. We had just been dating a few weeks. I was the one who asked him so I had to clear the plans with him. I went to talk to him but he was on the computer in the sewing room, not facing me. I talked and explained, and described, and did more of the same. He didn't say a SINGLE word until the end. Then, without turning his head to give me a glance it was a simple, "Nope." Nice...I had to adjust the plans to end the night earlier for the whole bunch of us. If I didn't like Todd so much at the time I would have said a huge "see ya!" SO INTIMIDATING!!!

The second strong memory is watching him draw the indian. He sat in the kitchen and began. I watched for quite awhile but had to leave with Todd. When we came back I was completely amazed at how much was completed and how detailed and exact it was. That is still my most favorite picture just because of this memory.

Last memory...Dad has the best hugs around!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Shelley - so much for not being sappy ;). I have a few "non-sappy" memories. First I remember going to spend the night at Deanne's house and when I got there some friends(Kelly) came to take us to their house. Well my boyfriend ended up meeting us at Kelly's house. We were there late and all I can remember is Dad showing up and stopping the car and sticking his head out of the window(my memory has him not even pulling to the curb - just stopping in the middle of the road - probably less dramatic than that). Anyway he looked at me and said get in and looked at my boyfriend and said dont call for a while. I don't remember anything else said but really nothing else had to be said. I later found out Deanne told her parents we would be staying at Kelly's. Mom and Dad went out with Deanne's parents that night. You can see how that looked...
Second - I remember head thunks. Not sure why we got them but I know they got our attention and we stopped whatever it was we were doing. I did a head thunk (mine were much softer than Dad's) and you would have thought I beat the kid - they were appalled. For those of you who are not familiar with the head thunk - that is when you take your forefinger and place it on your middle finger and press down while moving your fore finger to the head - ask your parent/spouse to demonstrate :)
Good times....(funny thing is even these memories are good memories)

9:30 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

Head thunks, head thumps, whatever you call them, they're more effective than a spanking and less painful for both parties involved.(and easier to execute in public)

4:19 PM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I must have been a good kid or head thinks came after my time. I just don't remember getting those. I remember wrestling with dad and him tickling us to where we could not breathe. I remember him staying up late with me one night and I was not feeling good about myself and I just remember him listening and then reassuring me I was loved by him and mom and that I was a good person. Then he gave me one of his hugs and I felt much better. I remember when he was trimming our tree in the back yard and he fell out of it bumping his head pretty good. That was really scary to me. It was just Lisa and me home. I remember helping him into the house and he was talking weird. He couldn't remember where he was or who we were. Even though it didn't last long it made me nervous. I'm glad he came around for us. I remember playing softball against dads team in high school. I caught the last out, a foul ball down the third baseline almost at dads feet as he coached third base. That out ended the game with my team winning. As I recall I threw at least one, but I think two people out at second base as they tried to steal the base. This is a good memory I have because dad was not able to attend to many of my games due to him coaching a different team and games being on the same night. Another memory is when I wanted basketball shoes that matched our team. I really wanted them and dad figured out how to get them for me even though things were tight. I know all these memories are random and I have more and it's not Monday anymore, but this sure is fun. Thanks dad, you're a great dad. I Love You.

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes i definitely agree best hugs around. I remember being taught how to work hard by working construction a few summers with dad. i also remember not remembering dad being sick very often or maybe we just didn't know cause he didn't miss work and didn't complain about it. i remember him coming to my sporting events. i remember the looks more than the head thunks but it was enough. the wierd thing is i don't ever remember being scared of him but i definitely stopped doing whatever it was. i remember many a times of seeing him sleeping head back snoring away and never once questioning him being lazy cause i knew how hard he works.i remember him thinking us kids were crazy when we would buy some soda or ice cream and put our names on it. i remember him/santa not liking chocolate pop tarts. i remember him baptizing me and ordaining me to the different offices in the priesthood, and thinking how great that was. love the way he still gets down and plays with the grandkids and how much they adore him
so glad he is my dad and granddad to Graham. Hope to be like him someday.

3:09 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

From todd….

- I enjoyed having spending money when I was a teen so I spent a lot of time working in the HOT AZ sun with dad… very early mornings, rarely less than 12 hour days unless dad dropped me off after 10 hours to go work another 6 himself… the money was fun and I actually do remember the sense of independence it gave not to mention the clothes that I wanted that robyn and marc would sneak out of my closet to wear… nevertheless, now I cherish the time I spent with dad… I remember being proud of his attention to detail, his inability to do anything subpar… I don’t think he ever said it but it was clearly communicated that he was building someone’s home, not just a house… of course this was never more evident when he was doing brick work… that was my favorite for two reasons, first, because it was usually just us and secondly, because it was usually in shade or inside! Whenever I work hard outside I remember dad… and I do my best to never complain because he never did
- More quick memories of working with dad…
- -- cooking lunch on the dashboard of the car
- -- hoping, hoping we’d stop at the convenience store for donuts and chocolate milk before going to the job site
- -- taking a 5 minute nap at lunch on the cement slab of the house we were working on
- -- dad teaching me to lay brick

- scouts… I love cub scouts because of mom and I love scouts because of dad… it was again, quality time spent with dad… he always had a purpose, I’m guessing many times he probably developed the purpose on his way home from work or racing to the church from work but whenever, wherever he came up with the ideas they were good and meaningful… many think to be good with youth you need to act as goofy as they do… sometimes this helps but I saw dad (and still do) successful with youth because he instilled purpose and meaning in everything they did… he expected them to do something, be something, accomplish something…

- I remember learning to drive…. Working the clutch… ripping 40mph on the turn by westwood high as he said, slow down, SLow down, SLOW down… I was at a stop right after the curve… I was much better at turns after that and a better listener as well

- Along the lines of driving, without sharing too many details… I remember receiving a punishment that was essentially the consequences of someone else he thought would be harsh enough to match the infraction… I ended up only having to promise to that person that I would never again do what I did… basically no consequence at all… I remember thinking “sweet”, but then immediately thought there is no way dad is going to let me off that easy…. I don’t know if he hadn’t it would have been the wrong decision but he choose to stick to his word which meant I got off free and easy… I learned about dad’s integrity that day and have admired it over, and over, and over again through out my life and observations…

- I probably should stop here soon since this is running long but one more set of memories… I remember the tears and raw emotions after the phone call that grandma maxie had died, I remember him tenderly caring for his dad at the end of his life, I remember an email offering unconditional support and love at a time in my life that I felt I had none, I remember time after time, after time me calling from home depot or in the middle of a project going wrong and him being able to guide me over the phone what I needed to succeed…

always being in awe of his abilities… his capacity to love and take risk to love more

i love you dad!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home