I am assuming she means Grandad Al. I remember his eagle tattoo I always thought that was so cool. I remember quarters coming out my ears I think he gave them to us too. We were allowed to climb on him and mess with his hair all we wanted. He was a very warm soul and you felt loved just being around him.
I remember Granddad speaking with his version of an Italian accent when he was cooking or helping out in the kitchen. It seemed like anytime he'd fall asleep in a chair his head would go back and start sawin' logs (sound familiar). Inevitably, someone would pinch his nose. I'm 99% sure he did not enjoy waking up that way. I remember riding in his "Big Red Truck" I can't think of anything specific but I remember him being funny. I remember Granddad parking his camper in our front yard on one of their visits. I remember his pointy cowboy boots. He told me they were pointy so he could step on roaches that ran into corners. Lastly, I remember listening to him tell stories about his life. It was like the history channel.
I remember Bacon and ice cream. I also remember summer vacations in washington and helping Granddad Al feed the pig. Also remember him counting our ribs..just his way of tickling us. And we fell for it every time. I remember receiving a 50cent piece or a silver dollar from his pocket everytime we saw him. I remember too the love you felt from him with his big bear hugs.
I remember the bacon and the pig also, maybe that's why we have pigs now and I love bacon. Another memory is the El Camino, isn't that what it is called? Half car, half truck. Anyway, I remember riding in the back . I also remember his laugh. There is a man in my ward right now who sounds like Granddad, especially his laugh. He looks a little like him too. When I told Daniel this he said he always thought he looked like dad. Interesting, huh? I remember him kissing Grandma Maxie and calling her his girlfriend. Good memories.
- stories, stories, stories... at the moment i don't recall what they were about but i remember i love to listen to them - 50 cent pieces - loyal to the phone company - he was funny and kind, brighten every room and everyone
- when i was very young i wasn't to thrilled with my middle name... it wasn't to long before i realized what it meant to being named after him... mom knew it bother me and helped me understand what a great man he was by sharing with me her love for him and his great qualities... i loved following his example and thinking of him often throughout my life and am thankful i got to have his strong name
You all have a copy of Granddad's biography in which I wrote about my memories of Dad. But here are a few random unorganized memories: Every morning waking to the smell of bacon, scrambled eggs, coffee, and Camel cigaret smoke (Dad did not join the church until I was in College). The gentle way that he treat my mom. I literally never heard either of them yell at the other. The way that he was so friendly that almost all of the neighbors stopped as they drove by our place to visit with him-some for hours at a time. He volunteered us boys to do service projects for any neighbor in need. He used to pick up old people carrying groceries along the road and drove them all the way to their home. His two hand underhand free throw shots that seldom missed. His unusual sportsmanship when he played softball-he had fun playing ball. He and his friends would take us boys to Seattle to watch the Seattle Raineers baseball team play. He made many lasting friendships, most of whom were asked to come to the house to play cards. He even knew the names of the telephone operator, with the bank teller, the mailman. His trade-mark cowboy humorous quotes about any topic. Him working in his garden and feeding his cows in his coveralls. His kindness to others continued even when he was feeling really badly near the end of his life he had humor and kind words for those who came to visit.
8 Comments:
Question Shelley, when you say Granddad do you mean Granddad (Albert) Nevin or Grandpa Walker?
I am assuming she means Grandad Al. I remember his eagle tattoo I always thought that was so cool. I remember quarters coming out my ears I think he gave them to us too. We were allowed to climb on him and mess with his hair all we wanted. He was a very warm soul and you felt loved just being around him.
I am meaning Granddad Al.
I remember Granddad speaking with his version of an Italian accent when he was cooking or helping out in the kitchen. It seemed like anytime he'd fall asleep in a chair his head would go back and start sawin' logs (sound familiar). Inevitably, someone would pinch his nose. I'm 99% sure he did not enjoy waking up that way. I remember riding in his "Big Red Truck" I can't think of anything specific but I remember him being funny. I remember Granddad parking his camper in our front yard on one of their visits. I remember his pointy cowboy boots. He told me they were pointy so he could step on roaches that ran into corners. Lastly, I remember listening to him tell stories about his life. It was like the history channel.
I remember Bacon and ice cream. I also remember summer vacations in washington and helping Granddad Al feed the pig.
Also remember him counting our ribs..just his way of tickling us. And we fell for it every time.
I remember receiving a 50cent piece or a silver dollar from his pocket everytime we saw him.
I remember too the love you felt from him with his big bear hugs.
I remember the bacon and the pig also, maybe that's why we have pigs now and I love bacon. Another memory is the El Camino, isn't that what it is called? Half car, half truck. Anyway, I remember riding in the back . I also remember his laugh. There is a man in my ward right now who sounds like Granddad, especially his laugh. He looks a little like him too. When I told Daniel this he said he always thought he looked like dad. Interesting, huh? I remember him kissing Grandma Maxie and calling her his girlfriend. Good memories.
from todd albert...
- stories, stories, stories... at the moment i don't recall what they were about but i remember i love to listen to them
- 50 cent pieces
- loyal to the phone company
- he was funny and kind, brighten every room and everyone
- when i was very young i wasn't to thrilled with my middle name... it wasn't to long before i realized what it meant to being named after him... mom knew it bother me and helped me understand what a great man he was by sharing with me her love for him and his great qualities... i loved following his example and thinking of him often throughout my life and am thankful i got to have his strong name
You all have a copy of Granddad's biography in which I wrote about my memories of Dad. But here are a few random unorganized memories: Every morning waking to the smell of bacon, scrambled eggs, coffee, and Camel cigaret smoke (Dad did not join the church until I was in College). The gentle way that he treat my mom. I literally never heard either of them yell at the other. The way that he was so friendly that almost all of the neighbors stopped as they drove by our place to visit with him-some for hours at a time. He volunteered us boys to do service projects for any neighbor in need. He used to pick up old people carrying groceries along the road and drove them all the way to their home. His two hand underhand free throw shots that seldom missed. His unusual sportsmanship when he played softball-he had fun playing ball. He and his friends would take us boys to Seattle to watch the Seattle Raineers baseball team play. He made many lasting friendships, most of whom were asked to come to the house to play cards. He even knew the names of the telephone operator, with the bank teller, the mailman. His trade-mark cowboy humorous quotes about any topic. Him working in his garden and feeding his cows in his coveralls. His kindness to others continued even when he was feeling really badly near the end of his life he had humor and kind words for those who came to visit.
Post a Comment
<< Home