Memory Monday
Ok all...here we go. Monday is now Memory Monday. It is your turn to post a memory of something random having to do with the Nevin family, good of course (good can be funny), and remember this is ALL for fun... Nothing that you wouldn't want posted. Anyway...here goes! Check the comments for the memories. This week lets think about food...

11 Comments:
I can think of many things with my own family...birthday cakes, sunday meals, etc...but for the Nevin family I am not sure. I suppose watching things Dad makes is pretty fun as we have gotten older. Grilling kabobs, delicious ham, and whatever he makes for my kids when they have been with us they all seem to remember. Oh...and Mom's HEAVENLY rolls. YUM!!!!
First off, I got to go with the ice cream hastily hidden behind the dryer, then forgotten. Then, Mom's and Dad's pop stash in their room (Mom=7-up Dad=Pepsi). If Dad started a pepsi then put it in the fridge....ah he won't miss a sip or two or three or....
Continued.. There's a thousand food related memories but I think cocoa and toast has to be in everybody's top 5 if not #1. Ok I'll leave some for the rest of you now.
Dairy Queen Dilly Bars come to mind. I remember going to the temple and then heading over to DQ for some yummy treats. The funny thing is I felt like it was like something we did alot and it probably was only one time that meant alot. I even did this with my kids and told them that we used to do it as a family.
Nick I actually forgot about the hot chocolate and toast - thanks for reminding me. I also remember having Sunday dinners and peeling potatoes on newspaper ( I was told I was very good at this job - Mom was very clever because this made me always want to peel potatoes) Shelley I too love Dad's ham and mom's rolls. Mom's potato salad has always been a favorite as well - we really missed it on Saturday at our BBQ.
Mairzey says...
I just think of Thanksgiving things cuz thats when we are usually there...like Grandma Karen's rolls and pies...pumpkin and chocolate.
this is todd....
- middle of the night ice cream raids... i gave up a lot of sleep in pursuit of such yumminess... always with a strategy of how much to eat without getting caught which normally worked except when some other kid decided to do the same and the collective evidence was too much to miss... i do remember one time i got carried away after making the daring move of starting a fresh half gallon... when i had "accidentally" eaten half of it, i decided the only viable strategy was to finish it off completely and hope dad wondered if he had really purchased it at all
- cocoa and toast is a staple treat in our home especially during winter or raining days... i remember the mountain of toast growing up
- cold leftover waffles as bargaining chips for neighbor friends
- cream of mushroom steak... yum
- huge stack of sliced ham in the fridge
- summers of "themed" food... all you can eat frozen burritos one year, cheese crisps with a twist of ham and salsa another year...
- german pancakes that i absolutely loved the first time, and second time and third, and then less the fourth, fifth, sixth... at some point my body decided it didn't want anything more to do with eggs and just shot the delicious german pancakes and most everything else egg related out the backside in a hurry
- stroganoff when mom and dad went on dates... i think tuna patties were a date night staple as well
- no drinks to start the meal... first one to get too thirsty got to get everyone a drink... hey, since you're up can you...
- cheerios to go with sugar from the tupperware sugar dispenser... yes, i got that in the right order, the cheerios complemented the sugar
- a frozen pound of hamburger as the starter for many things
- chicken on the grill... i may have my own selective memory of this since i did it so much i remember it as my job... and i really liked it
- that's it... i feel like eating some ice cream now
I have memory of Dad's beans. I remember watching him put salt in it and thinking gross that's a lot of salt. I even told him that and he said don't watch then. I was giving him a hard time still and he told me I didn't have to eat it then. I did try it and it was really good. It was a lot of salt, but not for the size pot. I still have a hard time putting enough salt in things like beans or soups or big pots of food. The amount of salt you need still grosses me out. Speaking of salt does anyone remember the salt muffins I made once. I was making mom's six week bran muffins and I was suppose to put in 6 tsp of salt and I thought I read 6 cups. I remember thinking that was a lot, but then again dad used a lot of salt in big dishes. I remember I think Marc took a big bite and about threw up. Those were some really bad muffins. My muffins are a lot better now.
I also remember the toast and hot cocoa that is still my favorite. I also remember didn't we get pancakes or waffles every Saturday or is that in my imagination? I also remember ice cream in the laundry cupboard and under Todd's bed. I have to say the grosses food memory I have is the saltine crackers in a plastic baggie that someone left on my bedroom floor, not going to mention any names . It was the middle of the night and I woke up needing to go to the bathroom,but was afraid to go because I could hear crunch,crunch, crunch. I made my way around the noise and reached to turn on the light and there in the baggie was a giant cock roach munching on the crackers. Yum!
What about the stack of pizzas from Peter Piper. I think I remember one summer eating alot of artichokes with butter. Did that happen? The summer that Alpha Beta or ABCO had the sale on pudding pops. I remember making a few trips for siblings with the promise of a few pops as payment.
My mind is racing! It's amazing the amount of food memories the are!
I thought I would check on what the Memory theme was to see what everybody else remember so that I could take my mind away from the stress of here. Thank you so very much Shelley for starting this. I enjoy seeing the memories. I don't have any other memories of the food than all of you. Connie's made me laugh for a good long time as I was the one that left the bag of crackers and that was gross. However looking back at the things we remember we can get a good laugh. Thank you all for reminding me that we have a wonderful family. Love you all.
todd...
i definitely remember the salt muffins.... i seem to remember some sort of baking soda or powder overdose on something as well... to this day i judge waffles and pancakes on whether any of the dry ingredients are still dry - agh!
Post a Comment
<< Home