JesseKarenNevinFamily

Monday, July 05, 2010

Memory Monday...Vacations

Ok all...here we go. Monday is now Memory Monday. It is your turn to post a memory of something random having to do with the Nevin family, good of course (good can be funny), and remember this is ALL for fun... Nothing that you wouldn't want posted. Anyway...here goes! Check the comments for the memories. This week lets think about Nevin Vacations...

11 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

I LOVED the Walker family reunion at that huge cabin. We had just had Sadey so she slept in the closet. It was fun mixing with other families to do the cooking and up in the pines was great! I know the kids loved rolling the ice cream.

I also thought camping with the McElhaney family, playing cards by lantern, and great food was fun.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Vacations...which to choose? I remember going to Grandad Al and Grandma Maxie's house. We used to get a bowl of sugar and then fill it with raspberries. Why we needed sugar I don't know. It was so much fun being there, it felt like we were allowed to just play all day with no adult supervision - such freedom. Remember when Uncle Leonard took us all on a ride on his motorcycle. Good stuff.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I remember the summer we lived in Washington. That was their driest summer on record and Arizona's wettest summer. It only rained one weekend and one other random day. Then we left and two days later there was a major rain storm for like two weeks or something like that.
I remember riding the ferry boat with Grandma Maxie and a bucket of peanut butter cookies. She always let me eat one before everyone else. That's because I was special.
I remember the sugar and raspberries also. Grandma Maxie was making raspberry jam or pie and we just got into it. That's how I remember it

10:40 PM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I have to add one more memory. Marc remember the bull. Aunt Tacy had told us not to go in the field where the bull was. Marc said he could run faster than the bull so he went in and teased the bull until it chased him. Tacy pulled him out. I can't remember if Marc got out clean or if he got a little bump on the way out. Anyone remember, Marc?

10:49 PM  
Blogger Meg & Jeff said...

i loved making ice cream that was fun. and i tell you what... working that hard to make it... i was excited when it was done!!! :)

i also remember when i was a little bit younger going to aunt Robyn's "blue house" the one that we used to live in. and my favorite thing was when me kam kels and jed ate watermelon and when it came down to the white part we put sugar on it.or wait was it salt? i cant remember. then i remember dressing jed up like a girl... we did his hair and even painted his finger nails!!! lol that was a long time ago!!! those were some fun days!!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Lisa Carroll said...

Okay I remember many vacations to Washington but I don't remember ever having raspberries with sugar. Where was I at.

I remember going on three week vacations in the summer. We would start by going to Grandma & Grandpa Walkers and visiting family there for a few days then it was off to Washington for about a week to a week and half then back down to utah and visiting with family again on our way home.

Do you remember the when we had to get out and push the van up the hills and then the year that we got a new van because ours broke down on vacation. On that trip we got to see some of Reno, Nevada. Fun stuff!

By the way I know I read Shelley's and Robyn's comments but they are not showing up anymore. What happened?

2:15 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

first, this is todd...

the best vacations were the ones when little money was spent but lots of family time was shared... with one huge exception.... the California trip to end all Cali trips... first it was a surprise... drive through the night with Disneyland, Universal Studios, and Knotts Berry Farm waiting to greet us day after day... i was in shock each day and thrilled to have so much fun with everyone... details are foggy for me but the feelings have remained strong... i don't remember any long lines though i'm sure there were many, i don't remember it being hot though i'm sure it probably was... i just remember fun!... and... that i thought we had become rich over night... seriously, this is a distinct memory from that trip... but over the years and now as a parent i've realized what a sacrifice mom and dad went through to give us such a wonderful gift that year... that investment in cherished family time was well worth it... but it has also reminded how precious the less expensive vacations were and i also realize those came with great sacrifice as well... the simple time together is really what great memories are made of... you never know when they will come but chances are always much greater when you load a family full of kids in a car and go...

btw, 17 break-downs on one of those infamous trips to washington is the number in my head.... can anyone confirm... in any case, what most would think of as a nightmare (even i would today) breaking down more than once on a trip let alone multiple times would become highlights in our lives... proof that shared purpose and unity wins out over thrills and indulgence

thanks Shel for the memory prompts

7:58 PM  
Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

I remember many break downs, especially the one where we ended up having to buy a brand new van. I'm not sure if that was the 17 times one or not(I have no memory of an exact number of times we broke down), I just remember spending the night in the van and then the next day throwing up in a nice brand new van. And I might even be mixing two different trips together, but I know we spent a night in a van and I know I got sick in the new van. oh memories.
I do remember Disneyland and universal studios and knots berry farm. I have a vivid memory of the Jaws ride at universal studios. Riding along and then Jaws jumping out of the water and the bridge below us tilting to the side. We did have fun. I did enjoy all the camping trips also. I liked being out in the forest and the fresh air and sleeping in tents and exploring, I didn't care much for the out door bathroom situation especially in the middle of the night, that kind of creeped me out. All in all we did have a good time. This is sure a good idea.

12:05 AM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:13 AM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

Most of the family (whole family) vacations are a spotty for me. I only remember bits and pieces. For instance I remember the jaws ride and wondering why they would let that killer so close to us. I remember being in the pool at the motel looking for "Ponch and John" when I heard sirens, after all, we were in California. I vaguely remember taking the old fashion picture at Knotts or Disney and not being able to wrap my brain around shirts that were open in the back. And finally, I remember looking all over Disneyland for my one true love, Snow White. Then being too embarrassed to talk or take a picture with her.

Other than that 5 year old percpective, I mostly remember the numberous camping trips with the McElhaney's and the family reunions. To this day camping is my first thought when someone mentions family vacation even though I've been to Disneyland & other places with Mom & Dad as an older child.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I too think often of the sacrifices Mom and Dad made (and make) for us. I do remember the surprise trip to Cailfornia and the Jaws ride makes me laugh because I think Ron was little and was on the side Jaws came up out of the water at. He jumped and ran and screamed to the other side so fast - still makes me chuckle a little. But I think Todd is right - it was the time spent together that make Summer Vacation memeories special - the details are fuzzy or missing but the feeling of happiness and enjoyment remain.
Good Stuff - Thanks Shelley!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home