JesseKarenNevinFamily

Monday, September 27, 2010

Memory Monday

This week lets remember cars...cars you had, learning to drive, driving with or without a license, etc. Cars...

10 Comments:

Blogger Connie and Daniel Biggs Family said...

My kids think it's hilarious that we had Volkswagen vans. They call them hippy cars. I remember learning to drive in a small car that was stick shift. I think dad had an invisible break on the passenger side whenever he drove with us. As I recall though I think most of us did pretty good. I took my driving test in the suburban. I thought that was big, little did I know that one day I would drive a fifteen passenger black limo bus to get my family around. I'm pretty sure I know what inspired the prompt "with or without" a drivers license, Todd do you want to expound on that or just let it go. My first car was a Hyundai, maroon color. That was a good car. It was fun to have my own car. I remember vividly going with dad to buy it. Great memory!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

The red and white suburban...our car of high school fun. We went to the lake in it, ball games in it, and a dance or two. I remember your car Connie. I think we borrowed it for prom our senior year. I also remember Dad's work truck. I would sit in the middle by Todd. Sturdy truck. I know I went on a few dates, maybe even the first one, in that.

I remember the blue car. I think mom and dad got some money for Christmas from Grandma and Grandpa Walker or something and got it. NEW! It was exciting!

I learned to drive on a stick shift on the reservation. I hated that but have loved that I know how to drive one ever since. I didn't get my license til I was 19 so Todd was my driver.

Last memory...I can't remember which car, maybe a small brown one? I got a ride home before I was dating Todd, way out to Lehi, with the car full of "the boys." I know Marc was in there, Todd, and I can only imagine who else, I am guessing a few more. They peeled out in my driveway and I am sure had a great time driving down my dirt road. Fun times!!

5:59 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

How about sweating like crazy in the burb on the way to church. I know we sweat on the way to other places but I remember going to church was the worst because there were more of us and the girls wouldn't allow the windows down. Apparently you can show up to church drenched in sweat but if a hair is out of place....

I remember sitting in Dad's truck and attempting to pop the clutch and drive straight and slow while Dad would push. I also remember arching the solenoid with a screw driver and scaring the bleep out of myself the first time.

Sometimes you could hear what sounded like a shotgun blast and knew Dad was home (that truck had the craziest back fire). My friends Dad use to tell me he would cut himself shaving when Dad would drive down the road in the morning.

I remember some girl basically totalling her car when she rear ended us (Todd and I) near Keinman Park. When Todd got out and looked at the back of the truck he couldn't tell if there was any new dents.

Rolling the blue escort on the freeway a 1/2 mile from my exit. That story would take too much time to write and read. Besides, Everyone has already heard it.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jesse & Karen Nevin said...

Before any of you were around our first car was a 1947 Plymouth. Little did I know that that car was going to be the beginning of a long line of lemons that would plaque our family. I had to park on an incline so that I could get it started by popping the clutch as it rolled down the hill. However it is weird how we got attached to each car even if it was a lemon.
I also remember teaching each of you to drive. Some had it easier than others because of the variety of beasts that you had to drive.
I remember going to help most of you buy your first car. That was not my favorite thing to do because I was always worried about choosing a lemon for you like I did too many times for us. Choices were not very good when the choices limited to the $2-3000 range.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

from todd....

i have MANY car memories... and i'll get to some of them when i have a bit more time... however, i'm afraid i'll have to plead the 5th on several of them considering a string of youthful drivers is about to begin in my home...

i will share a conversation i had with mom shortly after i got my DL... after coming home from somewhere she didn't know i was she said, "just because you 'can' drive whenever/wherever doesn't mean you 'will'... a driver's license is not a freedom license"... i remember honestly thinking, yes it is... good thing i was at least smart enough not to verbalize that thought at the time

suburban, truck and mom's escort were my favorites because shelley was with me so often... she can share the 44oz story since i know it's one of her favorites

3:52 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Ah....good stuff. To add I am pretty sure I was one that had a more difficult time learning to drive. I vividly remember driving to get dropped off at work at harkins. I took the turn into the parking lot a little to fast. I remember Dad reaching over to grab the wheel while telling me to slow down. I also remember the station wagon I loved that the seats in the back faced the back.
I too owned a few lemons... the rabbit that had no ac was our first car. I learned how to use a screwdriver to get it to start. I also had my first accident in that car, rain, low tire pressure, and a good wind sent me into a soon on the 60.
We owned a mustang that jed decided he would wash from the inside. It took days for it to completely dry out.
Because we owned cars that carried an animal name when we bought the trooper Jed being just 4 called it the gorilla. (still makes me giggle)
I drove myself to the dmv to get my license at 19 and after already having one child.
I still remember buying my Honda civic it was the first real purchase with my own money. I got it for exactly what I told him I would spend. I felt so good and like I got a great deal.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Meg & Jeff said...

My very first car was a Chevy Beretta. Can't really remember the year. I bought it for $600 of my Grandpa D. and I remember my dad letting me drive around the block with out my DL with my friend a few times... (just to make it stayed running till I got my DL). I didn't get my permit till I was 17 I think. and I remember when I was studying for the test I was told to study the whole book not just the questions in the back... well I kinda slacked on the whole book. But I got lucky. I studied all the ones in the back... I got very lucky and all but 1 question on my test was from the back of the book and that was the only one I missed. when I went back for my actual driving test I made it for early morning so that the tester was in a somewhat of a good mood. I was so nervous. In that test I drive my dads Chevy s-10. When we pulled into the parking spot of the DMV she asked me what I thought I did wrong. I then listed a few things and she told me that I was her first ever 100% test taker! I didn't believe her and she thought i was crazy! But she really did pass me with 100%. I can't say that I am the best driver around... because I have a little bit of a lead foot... but I think that runs in the family... since I know my mom does too and same with Granddad. love you both! :) since then I have owned 3 different cars... Nissan sentra which I got in m first accident in. a 96' Chevy Corsica and a 99' Pontiac Grand Prix.

one memory I have riding with Aunt Robyn one time not sure where we were going but Jed was still in a car seat and some how unbuckled himself and climbed in the back window... I think Aunt Robyn about lost her marbles! I had to share that one.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Oh yes Megan I remember Jed was quite the houdini(sp?) When it came to his carseat. I often had to pull over to rebuckle him in.
On that note Kelsie once unbuckled herself (she was older like 5) and had been moving around in the backseat without me aware of it and I got pulled over. She was so scared that I was in trouble with the police that she started crying. It got me out of the ticket and she never unbuckled during my driving again.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Lisa Carroll said...

Okay after hearing all of your stories I have to share mine.

The white Chevette..or as we called it the "ShoveIt". That is the car that I got into my first accident in. Nick and Ron were with me. It was while Mom & Dad had the middle 4 kids out on a river rafting trip. Ron ended up with racoon eyes.

I remember riding in the van with no seats. The one ride that stands out the most.. Is going to the library for family night and Nick standing between the 2 front seats and Dad hitting the brakes and Nick ended up breking his collar bone.

"CLICK CHECK" That was what I use to say to my kids everytime we got into the car. Amazingly enough my car would not be able to start if the seatbelts were not buckled. It also broke down everytime that one of them would get out of their seltbelts while I was driving. I still use the excuse that the car breaks down if we don't have our seatbelts on.

another- In High School driving the surban to sadie hawkins with about 10-12 of my friends in it. I took a curb and then being pulled over. But what makes this funny is that as the officer flashed his lights I said to my friends, Was that lightening - it's not suppose to rain tonight. Yeah there was no lightening it was the lights from the cop car.

I have had several cars myself but my first car that I bought was a baby blue ford escort. I had that thing for several years. Then I paid cash for my second car the white Hyundai.

Oh the memories of the cars.

Todd, I didn't have to have the conversation with my kids about that just because you have a DL being a freedom license. The DMV took care of that for me. They told Ashlee that the DL had her name on it but that it belonged to her mother. They told her that if her grades went down her license was taken away. If she didn't follow the rules and got into trouble the license was taken away.
Ryan didn't get his DL until the month before his 18th birthday so I didn't have much to say for very long except that if you can't afford the insurance your not driving my car. Megan lived with her dad and had to follow their rules.

12:18 PM  
Blogger NSNEVIN FAM. said...

Abby likes to talk about cars and when she's sixteen she going to do this and that....My response is always the same, loud, overly dramatic laughing. I told her that's the only response she gets until she's at least 15. Then it will probably turn to uncontrollable hysterical sobbing thinking of the gas, insurance and repair bills.

Let me give an example, because we all know the theory that kids give us tenfold what we gave our parents:

-During my teen driving career I have backed into a Sonic fence, backed into another vehicle (At Best Buy on Sunday when I was supposed to be doing something for young mens), got three moving violation tickets, rear-ended someone while driving my friends parents van, of which had already been accepted as a trade-in for their new van and finally I rolled Mom's blue Escort. I think that was it. So yeah, I'm in trouble in a few short years. Good luck to all of you that are already there.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home